Friday, November 28, 2008

Brewing with John

So earlier today, 2 o'clock this morning, I boiled up my first five gallon batch of beer in a long time. Right now its sitting in my pantry, fermenting away and slowly becoming alcoholic. It was a lot of fun, but boiling the wort (unfermented beer) for an hour can get pretty boring. Now I have to let it sit in the pantry for about a week, maybe two, before I transfer it to a 5 gallon glass bottle called a carboy.

After it sits in the carboy for another week-14 days, I can put it into bottles. A 5 gallon batch of beer fills about 52 twelve ounce bottles. That's a lot of beer! Hopefully it comes out good. I was a little scared at first because the airlock wasn't bubbling and bubbling is a sign of active fermentation. However, plenty of people assured me that sometimes beers don't make the airlock bubble at all because they don't produce enough CO2. Finally tonight, at around 6pm, it started to bubble and has been bubbling consistenly since then.

Well Sarah and I got our Christmas tree set up, and tomorrow my parents are heading back to Houston. It was nice having them up here for a few days, I wish they could stay longer. Everyone enjoyed their Christmas gifts and we just had fun hanging out together. In a few weeks I get to go to Oklahoma to visit Sarah's family for Thanksgiving. Well that's all I have to say for right now, so check back for new posts!

No comments: